Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Transformation

When I was in high school I was introduced to the "concert of prayer." It was the most amazing thing I had experienced in corporate prayer. We prayed in different groups and for different things. At the very end we all got in a big circle and prayed out-loud at the same time. Amazing.

Each Friday morning while I was in college we had prayer with other college students. It was a little earlier than I'd like sometimes but always totally worth it. One of my favorite times was when we did Alphabet Adoration in small groups. We would take turns going through the alphabet saying names or attributes of God.

One weekend in 2000 I went on my first Silent Retreat. I have to admit, I was a little intimidated by the thought of an entire weekend without communication with those I was going to be with. We ate in silence, walked the grounds in silence, and sat in sessions in silence. Not just any silence though. We purposefully thought on God and talked with Him and listened to Him. It transformed my prayer life and community life.

Starting February 15, 2009 I will be participating in 1,000 hours of prayer. I believe that it will find itself in the list of transforming times in my prayer life. If you call The Summit Church home, go ahead and sign up for your time to pray alongside of the rest of the church. This might just be a life-changing moment for you. I pray that it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment