A few weeks ago I posted a blog about ways in which God transformed my prayer life. I left out one very large part of that because I wanted to spend a little more time on it.
So often we read through passages in the Bible and immediately think of someone else, someone with "more sin than me," or we simply breeze over passages that aren't meant to be breezed over. But as I was slowly walked through 2 Timothy 3:2-5 some years ago I was struck by my sin in every area of my life. Let those of us who have been saved swiftly turn to Romans 8 which begins with, "Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." But don't stop there. Paul continues in verse 13 with, "For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." I like the KJV word here "mortify." John Owen has written a fabulous book on that subject that I won't rewrite for you here.
Take some time to slowly read through this passage...
2 Timothy 3:2-5
"People will be lovers of themselves,
lovers of money,
boastful,
proud,
abusive,
disobedient to their parents,
ungrateful,
unholy,
without love,
unforgiving,
slanderous,
without self-control,
brutal,
not lovers of the good,
treacherous,
rash,
conceited,
lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—
having a form of godliness but denying its power."
Then be reminded of the promises of God in 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" and in Romans 8:1, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment