Friday, April 24, 2009

Always Assume

Always assume the best of others.

That phrase echoes in my head on almost a daily basis. About a year ago our pastor said it to us in a staff meeting. If you would have asked me a week before that if I assumed the best of people I would have told you, "Yes, of course." But as soon as those words came out of my pastor's mouth my heart sank as negative assumptions of other people came to mind one by one.

What do you think when someone is late?
... when someone hasn't called you?
... when someone hasn't returned an email?
... when a job isn't finished?
... when a seemingly unkind word is spoken?
... when someone doesn't speak to you?
... when someone speeds around you or cuts you off on the road?

When these circumstances come up I sometimes find it hard to assume the best about the other person. Instead, I may assume the worst.

We make tons of assumptions about other people. The question is, are they positive or negative assumptions?

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. I like this. It's not always the easiest thing to do, but I hate feeling like a dummy when I'm mad at someone for doing or not doing something and then I find out they had a really good reason for their actions.

    ReplyDelete